Dealing with Dental Traumas


There comes a time in each one's lives where we have to pay heed to our dental issues; baring people who are extremely lucky not to have any dental problems their entire lifespan! Dental treatments can be simple or complex depending case to case. Aggggh!

A lot of us tend to delay our dental treatments for various reasons. Be it time constraints, financial strength, dental phobia and what not. We do understand that the more it is delayed the worse it could get. My dental issues began in my school days in the year 1995. I lived in a hostel and was dragged for a root canal in class 7 to this dentist of those times that my parents could not even afford but we had no option in the vicinity and it was urgent.

I was always a malnutritiond kid, would enjoy eating mud, slate chalk, stones and all such nasty things. I honestly over did it like they were a gift from Santa exclusively for me!

So now, I have borne the brunt and corrected my dentals. All my treatments involved complications due to the funny scissor bite I have been blessed with! Yes, God always gave me everything in abundance😉 Never thought I would have such pun unintended intimate vague conversations with my dentist keeping a straight face! Basically cold feet!

For all who hesitate to make a trip to your dentist I have a few tips that could help you; 

1.       Do not fear the pain: Your doctor will surely sedate you well depending on the intensity of the treatment required. It will all be ok in a few seconds after the anesthesia is administered. Just relax and cooperate with your dentist. The actual pain comes in post-operative. Please ensure you follow your doctor's advice to the dot. I personally am still super scared of needles! I always keep my eyes shut and peak occasionally with a soft vision throughout the process. 

The dentist said that he could knock me out with gas, or he could use a big metallic rock.

I said ether/ore.

 2.       Trust your dentist: Your dentist can see what you can’t. He/She is a professional who can help you ease your pain. Once you have chosen your dentist, believe in him/her for understanding your history and doing the best to permanently relieve you of your pain. I have been associated with my dentist for over 15 years now. No one knows my dental structure better than him and I totally trust him for his recommendations.  

What was the tooth called who went to Oxford University?

The Wisdom Tooth.

3.       Be patient: Never get your doctor to hurry on you. Take time out with some buffer so that your dentist has sufficient extra time if required for your treatment. Do not expect the pain to vanish overnight. It really depends case to case and person to person. 

Patient: How much will it cost me to have this tooth pulled out?

Dentist: £500

Patient: £500 for just a few minutes work? That’s hardly cheap.

Dentist: No worries, I’ll pull it out slowly if you prefer.

 4.       Do not explain to a 3rd person: Avoid explaining details to others especially when you already are in pain. Be brief about it if need be. It is impossible for a third person to understand you unless they have been through the exact similar situation which is never the case! Each one will have their own version and each doctor their own style! 

Friend of mine is always at the dentist, well….he knows the drill!

 5.       Do not compare yourself with other’s situations: Do not argue with your doc as to why someone you know had a different treatment process or faster recovery. Understand your body and pay close attention to your eating habits and oral hygiene. You are unique!

Friend: What did the dentist say to the judge in court?

Me: What?

Friend: “You can’t handle the tooth!”

 6.       Take your medication under Doctor's guidance: Do not administer yourself drugs other than what your dentist has prescribed.  Take your medication on time. Stick to all the do's and don’ts suggested by your doctor.

My dentist defies the law of cavity!

 7.       Complete the dosage: A lot of people stop their medication as soon as they start feeling better only to find out it all relapses! Complete your dosage as per the no. of days your doctor has prescribed them for. Consult your doctor if any discomfort and bad tummy issues. Remember it is normal to feel weak and is only part of the recovery process. 

What’s a dentist’s favourite dance?

The floss!

 8.       Acknowledge & Appreciate: Don't forget to thank your Dentist once you are fit again 😊

Me: Thank you doc, I feel so relieved…

Doc: See you soon! 😉


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Break the Mental Health stigma

Covid-19 Blessings

Spitting in public is not your birthright!